Department of Social Work
We welcome you to the Department of Social Work.
A Balanced Education founded one person’s worth and dignity enhancing the total well-being towards Self actualization and Transformation of society(BEST)
To carry out a program characterized by Spirituality and Excellence which enhances Relationship and Volunteerism towards Integrated development through Collective and Experiental learning (SERVICE)
Demands for Social workers
Social Workers are typically individuals who care about people and society, and have a genuine desire to make a difference. They are found in public agencies, private organizations, hospitals, schools, nursing homes, police departments, courts, and countless other interesting workplaces as they serve individuals, families and communities. Some are managers, supervisors, and administrators. Others are also elected political leaders and legislators. The job growth for social workers is projected to increase both in the Philippines and abroad.
What personal qualities should I have?
Not everyone possesses the personal qualities needed to be a social worker. Individuals pursuing a career in social work need to possess:
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of others
- A concern for people
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- An ability to relate to others empathically
- A willingness to work collaboratively with clients, colleages, and other professionals
- An ability to problem-solve
- A willingness to make challenging decisions
- A commitment to social justice
- A respect for the privacy of others
- Personal integrity
Social Work: Is it for me?
- Are you genuinely interested in people of all kinds? Social workers are committed to helping people regardless of racial, economic, cultural, and other differences. Prejudice does not fit into the value system of the profession.
- Do you believe in human potential for growth and change? It is important to have faith that everybody has some inner strength and that people can change given the chance.
- Do you have the patience, perseverance, and the ability to follow through? The social worker should be hard to discourage, always resourceful in seeking new ways to help clients.
- Do you work well with people? Social workers need to get along with clients, colleagues, and other professional workers. The ability to resolve conflicts constructively is essential for effective social work practice.
- Are you interested in your own personal growth and well-being? Social workers must be aware of themselves and their own struggles so they do not get “mixed up” with the clients’ troubles. Social workers must be willing to know themselves and to take care of themselves.
- Are you interested in developing your problem-solving abilities? An interest in what makes people tick, in keeping posted on what’s happening in the world each day, picking out key facts in a stack of data, and taking responsibility and making important decisions are important criteria for social workers
- Are you interested in the larger picture? A social worker cares about the state of the nation and the world, sees each human problem in its relationship to the whole community, and works for better housing, better health services, better schools, and better wages.
- Are you interested in using scientific methods to work with people? Social workers base their practice on established social work methods and use scientific studies when possible.
- If you answered “Yes”to any of the above questions, then SOCIAL WORK may be for you.
Where can I work as a Social Worker?
Social workers are dedicated to improving conditions for individuals as well as families, groups, communities, and society as a whole. Social work offers a broad variety of settings including:
- Public and private agencies
- Private businesses
- Industry and labor
- Child-caring institutions
- Nursing homes
- Court Systems
- Law enforcement agencies
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Adoption agencies
- Hospices, centers, homes, shelters for various special groups
- And many others…
“The social, profession promotes social change, problem solving in human relationships, and the empowerment and liberation of people to enhance well-being Utilizing theories of human behavior and social systems, social work, intervenes, at the points where people interact with their environments Principles of human rights and social justice are fundamental to social work”
International Definition of Social Work
Members of the faculty :
Kareen Jay D. Lozada, RSW Chairperson, BSSW(CPU), MSSW(CPU)
Carol Kay C. Blando, RSW, BSSW(CPU), MSSW – in progress (CPU)
Lofel J.Diamante, RSW, BSSW(CPU), MSSW-in progress (CPU)
Joel P. Galicia, RSW, BSSW(CPU), DipCO (UP Diliman)
Lee Y. Pineda, RSW BSSW(CPU), M.Mgt(AIM), Ma.Ed (WVSU), Ed.D (WVSU)
Sarah M. Barayuga, RSW, BSSW (UP Diliman), DipSW (UP Diliman), MMgt (UP Visayas)
For inquiries visit or call:
Social work Department
Mary Thomas Hall
(033) 329-1971 to 79 local 1095
Office of the Dean
College of Arts and Sciences
Old Valentine Building
(033) 329-1971 to 79 local 1054